Sunday, February 8, 2009

plying, blooming

I think one of these days soon I'm going to spin some singles, Navajo ply them, and play around with how much twist I add. (I chain in one step and then add twist.) I want to ply one length the way I usually do -- eyeball it and guess. Then I want to overply one length and underply another.

I want to run this little science experiment because I don't know how much my yarn will bloom when I wash/whack it, and I'm getting to a point where I'm not content to be surprised. Take my last yarn, Hot. I started knitting a hat with it tonight, and while I'm not unhappy with it, I wonder if it would have bloomed more if I had added a bit less twist. (Or it could have been limp and lifeless.) On the other hand, if I had added more twist, I think I might have ended up with a still-soft but firm and sturdy yarn. (Or it could have been wire.)

I'm going to run this experiment using SW merino, since that is what I work with most often. I'd really like to be able to produce a 3 or 4 ply worsted that is round and soft and smooshy, and the bloom is what makes it smooshy.

For Ravelry members, the first post in this thread on blooming is what prompted my interest. Look at the before/after pictures!

No comments: