Friday, June 13, 2008

a history of my first yarn

This post is for my Mom, so I can show her my first spinning project. (Hi Mom!)

It started with this roving. It's 50% superwash merino wool / 50% tencel (which is a manmade fiber made from cellulose.)

zaria 2

I spun it into thin lengths of yarn called singles.

zaria singles 01

I wound the 3 singles together into a ball in preparation for plying. (I got the idea from abbysyarns on Ravelry -- it's infinitely easier to ply from a ball than from 3 singles.) Plying is twisting the singles together to form a thicker, stronger yarn. I spin the singles clockwise, then ply them together counter-clockwise.

zaria singles 02 wound

Last night I plied the singles, which took quite a damn while, let me tell you. This is a 3-ply yarn because it has 3 singles in the finished yarn.

zaria yip 02 - on the spindle

Then I washed it, whacked it, and hung it to dry. This morning, it looked like this. It's BEAUTIFUL.

zaria yarn 02

zaria yarn 03

zaria yarn 04

(Big picture can be found here.)

No comments: